The city’s annual award winning bike race took place on 4th June 2016 right here on the streets of Cheapside.
Thousands of spectators attended this year to watch a mix of elite and amateur races that took place from 3pm – 11pm around the closed-road circuit.
Races included the Elite Criterium, which every year attracts a world-class field of professional riders, the hard fought Penny Farthing race, Folding and Track Bike, plus other feature races.
It’s not just about the racing – the vacant streets of Cheapside were transformed with stalls from Borough Market, racing on the big screen, VIP seating, a kid’s party zone and live music to fuel a festival atmosphere at this truly memorable cycling event.
As a city business close to the new circuit there were a variety of ways staff and businesses could get involved:
- There were a variety of races open to the public as well as the City Criterium which is designed for corporate teams.
- Be a part of the event – we actively encouraged businesses around the circuit to get involved to help create the festival atmosphere. There was an opportunity to engage with over 10,000 public spectators from their existing premises or with a pop up as part of the main expo areas.
- Watch the action on your doorstep – The event was free to attend but there were a variety of premium options to watch the racing including grandstand and hospitality tickets.
- Volunteer – A development opportunity for staff to gain experience of working on a major sporting event – we had a variety of roles available.
- Sponsorship – Cheapside Business Alliance were delighted to partnership with Mr Porter London Nocturne and sponsor the Children’s Cycle Safety area. This area allowed families on the day to allow their children to be involved in cycling proficiency training as well as safety awareness utilising a HGV demonstration vehicle.